Brantford Sports Council Questionnaire
1. Why did you choose to run in this election?
Few issues such as Arrowdale, I was a member, state of downtown, concern about long term fiscal stability etc.
2. How would you describe yourself to the voters?
Not flashy, determined, outspoken, change agent, hope to leave something behind, played sports for 51 years competitive
3. What would you like the voters to know about you?
Take no donations, to date take out all flyers, loyal to citizens and not special interests, have started few businesses, no failures to date. Began Fleetway, called Chicopee first years, employed thousands
4. What is your number one priority if you are elected?
Deal with community development and ec development, wish to see core area improved and generate more quality jobs
5. If elected, what are 3 steps that you would take to ensure our community is on a firm financial footing?
I read the budgets daily either on line or at library. I have post grad MBA focus on finance, seek out target list for economies and efficiencies, hiring freeze at city hall where feasible respecting mandated and current jobs, seek interviews with department heads, need communications vehicle to keep constituents informed on progress
6. If someone came up to you with a proposal to build a new public infrastructure in our city (i.e. bridge, road, facility, park etc.), how would you evaluate whether the project was worth implementing?
Firstly evaluate proposal re viability from financial and operational viability. We dont want bridges or roads to no where, meet with engineering staff, meet with ward mate, confer with Mayor and CAO if there us deemed to have merit and communicate with entire council if supported. This is not an issue to be dealt with by a novice councillor even if it only deals with a single ward. This us a big ticket issue and needs to be treated as such.
7. If you received a $1 million grant to use for the city any way you wanted, what would you do with the funds?
Not a huge amount,the transport I helped create was 50 mill per year plus. I would seek to place it in general funds envelope. I would lean towards some eradication of social ills if I had to choose. I have spent 51 years in sports and would seek to identify unmet needs.
8. Where are your favourite places to spend time in your neighbourhood and in the community?
My wife and I spent a lot of time on trails. I enjoyed every minute spent at Arrowdale. Heartbroken over this matter. It is said that golf is a good walk ruined, I say a walk is a good golf match ruined.
9. The Pandemic has been with us for the past three years and no one has been left untouched, what are the 3 key things you would do to overcome the impact of the Pandemic as we move forward in 2023 and 2024?
Firstly I would defer to the medical community. I have no such training. I am a finance guy and want to have a good handle on our status going forward fiscally, I was on a ship going through Corinth Canal. We suffered damage. At next stop I ran to the affected area to see the damage. Same situation. Also would evaluate implications for children who have pent up needs and may tend to be careless at times.many dont want to think about it but as a member of council we cant totally relax. I was a goalie. Jay Shewchuk was also. We are the last line of defense at council.i knew Helen S, also.we joked every week about her trips to hairdresser. We called it her Beautification trips, I served mostly elderly women at Op. Lift. Best job ever.